Thursday, 22 September 2011

Jojoba Oil

Jojoba is my favourite carrier oil! I try and find an excuse to use it in everything I formulate, and I’m sure after reading this, you will too!
Jojoba (pronounced ho-ho-ba) Oil is firstly fascinating in that is not in fact an oil, but is a liquid wax produced in the seed of the Jojoba (Simmondsia chinensis) plant.
This Oil is fantastic on our skin as it replicates many of the properties of human sebum (oil). It is great for all skin types - treating dryness, acne, excess oil production, sensitivity and a list of other skin conditions. It also inhibits the growth of fungi and bacteria on our skin.  Jojoba oil is quite light in colour, and practically odourless meaning you can use it in a range of products, and it won’t affect the scent or look.
Treatment of Different Skin Types with Jojoba Oil –
·         Oily/Acne Skin - It is used in the treatment of Acne and oily skin conditions, as the action of the oil will help to break down sebum and unclog blocked pores and build up. I have also heard theories that Jojoba “tricks” the skin into thinking it has produced enough sebum to keep the skin nourished, and therefore will help an oily skin to balance. You can be the judge on that!
·         Ageing / Mature Skins - They will benefit from Jojoba Oil as it has been found to help reduce fine lines and wrinkles and add nourishment and suppleness to these skins.
·         Dry/Dehydrated Skins - They will benefit from the Jojoba Oil as it will add the necessary moisture and nourishment. It will also help in reducing flakiness, dry spots and chapped lips due to its nourishing properties.
·         Jojoba oil has also been used of late to help in the treatment of skin disorders such as Psoriasis, Eczema, Dandruff, Dermatitis and other itchy skin conditions due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
For all of us soapers out there, one the great benefits of using this product is that it has a great shelf life, and won’t go rancid like some other oils and fats can. This is a great advantage when you consider that Jojoba can be classed as a somewhat pricey product.
I use Jojoba in the following –
·         Soaps- not too much as it can cut lather, and can be used as super fatting oil. Makes a really nourishing bar.
·         Lip balms – used as part of the oil content, I still tend to lean on Sweet Almond Oil to take the bulk of my oil usage, with Jojoba usually accounting for 20-50% of my oil content.
·         Bath bombs – I add a small amount to give some indulgence to my bath bombs! (Along with some cocoa butter shavings...)  
·         Insect Bite Treatments – I use Jojoba as my main carrier oil along with my essential oils that I have chosen to help the oils absorb into the skin quicker!
·         Facial masks – a drop or two in a clay mask will leave the skin beautifully moisturized and nourished!
·         Skin oils – I use it as a good 50% of my oils in body oil formulations due to its healing properties and similarity to human sebum.
It can also be used in Hair conditioners and treatments, as well as creams and lotions. I haven’t dabbled in either of these just yet, but I will put up my progress as I start too!
I hope this has given you a bit of information on my fave – Jojoba Oil. If you have anything that you love using Jojoba Oil for, let me know – I would love to hear how you utilize such an awesome product!

No comments:

Post a Comment